Saturday, April 30, 2011

Carlsbad Carverns 2






Here are a few images from the walk around the main chamber of the caverns. It is amazing how many different forms that calcium carbonate can take.






I cannot imagine how the first people to discover this must have felt. I was in a state of awe most of the time because of the diversity and the massive scale of the formations.


I only had a simple point and shoot with me and no tripod so these few shots were taken by steadying the camera on the railing and taking a longer exposure, thus a bit of a blur in some of them.



It took us about two hours to do both the 1.2 mile descent and the 1.5 mile tour of the main cavern and it was wonderful. We worked up quite the appetite and headed to Ray's in downtown Carlsbad for a late lunch/early dinner of Mexican food. The chicken tacos, refried beans and rice along with a Dos Equis was just what I needed to replenish my energy! Thanks, Ron and Barb for sharing the caverns and Ray's with us. Thanks, Ron for not asking if there was a charge for the water! :)

No comments: