Monday, May 9, 2011

Tsankawi ~ Atop the Mesa

Atop the mesa we enjoyed a wonderful view of the surrounding two canyons and distant mountains, the Jemez mountains on one side and the Sangre de Cristo mountains on the other. The Jemez range was created by volcanic activity a million years ago, the activity that created a giant ash cloud that blanketed the area and eventually formed the soft tuff rock. Rivers carved through the rock leaving the mesas that dot the landscape.






I took some time among the gusts of wind to change film in my cameras and grab a few shots on either side of the narrow plateau. I will post some of my black and white shots when I have had some time in the darkroom. Hopefully, some will turn out!



We continued along the trail that lead us along the narrow span and we paused for some of our bottled water. I wasn't really thirsty but knew it was important to stay hydrated. There was no way to get away from the intense sun and constant wind. By now, Buz was my Sherpa, carrying most of my camera equipment and the bag with the energy bars and water.





This is looking back along the trail toward where we ascended the mesa. This shows the edges of the mesa in this narrow section.






I was wondering how the large village of Tsankawi could have existed on this small mesa when quite abruptly the landscape opened up and seemed vast. If someone had dropped me here I would have assumed I were on the floor of a large desert prairie, not on the top of a mesa. The rock trail polished by feet turned to dirt and wound through scrub for as far as I could see.


Buz read aloud from the information booklet as we passed the markers. The village of Tsankawi consisted of about 275 ground floor rooms and the structures were one to two stories high. Since it was abandoned, the elements took over, the buildings collapsed and the wind covered the area with dirt. Plants began to grow on the dirt and the combination of roots, soil and rock protect the buried site. It remains untouched as per the wishes of the local pueblo people.




However, shards of pottery lay in visible sight and people have gathered a few together and placed them on rocks along the trail. We were careful to leave them undisturbed.



We were soon at the end of the mesa and at the end of the trail. Unfortunately, it was time to face the return cliff-side trail. Buz walked to the end of the trail, looked down and returned to put his hand on my shoulder.

"Hon, we have a ladder."


End of the trail!


No comments: