Monday, May 9, 2011

Tsankawi ~ Going Up




After enjoying the view from the top of the lower mesa we continued on to where the loop trail began. If you click on this image to enlarge it you can see where the trail branches. The trail to the left ascends the mesa and the trail to the right along the ledge is the return trail. I think it was at this point, looking up at the trail that I said to Buz, "I am not sure I am up to this." and he said, "Well, let's go a little bit and see how it is." I was reminded of the movie, What About Bob and decided to take it in baby steps.






The trail going up to the top of the mesa is a beautiful hike. The trail itself, formed by the ancient Anasazi people's footsteps that wore indentations in the soft tuff rock is so lovely that it invites you to put your hands on it to feel its soft white curves. You will notice in the image below that I am no longer wearing my hat. The winds were so strong- 35-40mph that it would not stay on my head.



We soon came upon this steep climb area that was a tight squeeze with the option of climbing a ladder instead. I squeezed through. Buz commented that it probably would be nice to have smaller feet. Something less than his size11 would be a benefit.

I was more focused on looking up toward where I was going but I did stop to capture some images looking back and I became aware of the magic of this place.



The vegetation along the way was totally unfamiliar to this Midwest girl. Juniper, pinon, rabbitbush, yucca, fourwinged saltbush and mountain mahogany are common on the trail. Adapting to the dry climate, these plants grow low and slow. The local people of this village relied on these plants for food, medicine, dies, spices and tools.




I tried to imagine the people who lived here and their life of living on top of the mesa and dry farming the land below. They traveled up and down these cliffs every day to tend their crops and animals and to carry water. The day after Mother's Day, I was thinking of what it would be like to have been a mother here, carrying children on my back up these trails. I imagined young children, as surefooted as mountain goats clamoring over the rocks, laughing and playing. I envied their carefree attitude.

The width and height of sections of the trail varied and I was amazed at how deep some of the sections were. The softness of the tuff rock makes it particularly vulnerable to deterioration. The ancient Anasazi people walked barefoot or in sandals along these paths. Current hikers wearing hard shoes contribute to deeper carved trails. At one point the trails were so deep that people hesitated walking through the waist deep grooves and began walking elsewhere, making their own alternative trails that caused erosion. The main trails were repaired to accommodate modern hikers and we were advised to stay on them to prevent damage to the surrounding area. It is hard to believe that as one individual you could have such a strong impact on the land but the grooved trail provides a strong visual confirmation of the fact that you can.



I have to say I was relieved to approach the top and enjoy some flat ground....


with a great view.


No comments: