Monday, April 25, 2011

In Transit


Farm Oasis, Central Illinois

We left around 6:15 this morning for our southwest adventure. We used to live in central Illinois but I had forgotten how flat it was. There was thin fog that made the lone trees and farms look like mirages on the horizon. My photographer self longed to be on the back roads capturing some of the moody shots with my Holga but alas we were focused on going great distances at this stage of the trip so I snapped a shot with my phone instead. The weather deteriorated as we drove south and we were soon into rain. I was happy that Buz was driving as I hate driving in rain on interstates. Trucks and passing cars kicking up rain, defroster going to keep the foggy windows at bay! What can I say? I am a wimp!




I took over at some point and it was clear for a bit. Then the rain hit again along with lightening- just as we were going up and down hills in southern Missouri. We were getting a taste of the weather system that was creating flooding and tornadoes. Thank heavens we were north of the tornadoes that tore through the area leaving several dead. As we approached Springfield, Missouri, Buz took over the driving and I began looking for lodging in the area in the AAA book. Though it was only 3:30 we were ready to be off the road. Buz said, " Look at that car!" and I looked up to see an SUV spinning like a top in the eastbound lanes. Cars and trucks managed to miss it as it slid into the median. Luckily there was a fence to stop its progress or it would have joined us in our lane. I am sure he began hydroplaning because of the water on the road and probably had his cruise control on. We stopped soon after that and enjoyed a friendly meal at Ziggy's Cafe before turning in to read and listen to thunder outside.

They have received 6+ inches of rain in this area and 10-15 inches south of us in the Ozark area. Many people have been forced from the homes. Secondary roads and many schools are closed. There will be a small respite from the rain tomorrow before it moves in again tomorrow night. I feel so sad for all the families in the area that are dealing with a particularly nasty spring. Our spring snow doesn't sound so bad in comparison.

We will be driving through Oklahoma tomorrow and will arrive in Ft Worth by late afternoon. Ft Worth escaped the bad weather yesterday with tornadoes north and south of them. They are having the opposite problem as this area with a drought and wild fires. Oklahoma will be cloudy so no threat of severe weather in our path! yipee! Texas here we come!

1 comment:

susan said...

Egads! What a mess driving in the rain....I am so glad you arrived safely on your 1st nite...