Monday, May 9, 2011

Tsankawi ~ Return Trail 1




What can I say? We were too focused on getting me down this 12 foot ladder to take a picture from the top looking down. Something I regret now! However, this ladder photo taken by Henley Graphics will give you an idea of what it was like for me to face my fear. You can see the footprint at the bottom of the photo. That is where the trail abruptly ends and the ladder begins. But it was a welcome option to taking these footholds down or perhaps I should say toeholds! These and steep step trails were used to access the mesa top on a daily basis, the women carrying babies on their backs and/or containers of water.





At the bottom of the ladder we rested and enjoyed more water and some energy bars. I say 'enjoyed' lightly. I was relieved to be off the ladder but looking at the trail ahead, I was wondering if the worst was over as Buz assured me.

It was hard to miss this part of the wall ahead and I wondered how in heck I was going to go down this section of the cliff.



I however had faith I would make it back safely and we continued on the trail to the right after Buz did a bit of exploring to the left. This trail to the left leads to a dead end and there are some dangerous drop offs so be sure to take the trail to the right as you face away from the ladder!




We followed this narrow trail to the right...



and I was relieved when we passed the section of the wall I had glimpsed at the bottom of the ladder. The trail actually followed the path at the top that I have marked in pink, thank heavens! (Again, you can click the image to make it larger.) The steeper trail would have been used daily to reach the agricultural fields on the plains below.



The native people took advantage of the benefit of building stone structures on the south facing stone walls. The walls would store heat during the daytime during winter months and offered shelter from summer storms. Most of the cavets had stone structures constructed in front of them called talus pueblos.



There were a few places that presented a challenge for Buz to squeeze through with all my gear that he was carrying. What a guy!


It was wonderful to get close to the walls in areas to see the colors and natural formations.





There were some interesting petroglyphs along the way....



... and of course amazing views.




Final section of the trail to follow!

No comments: