Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ghost Ranch 1





Springtime at Ghost Ranch

This morning we headed north to Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch, Georgia O'Keefe's winter home for many years. I had just finished reading Portrait of an Artist: Georgia O'Keefe and so I was anxious to see this site that was so important to her creative work that I admire.




This was our first trip out of Santa Fe to the north and the landscape changes dramatically just a few miles out of town. More plateaus, mesas, canyons and red rock are visible within a short distance of leaving the city.We soon saw the iconic Cerro Pedernal (Flint Mountain) in the distance that was a favorite subject for Georgia. We stopped at Lake Abiquiu for a few photos and the Pedernal was prominent from the shoreline.


It was a busy place with fisherman on the shore and several families putting in and taking out boats. We enjoyed exploring the various areas around the lake.



I enjoyed photographing some of the dead trees!


As we entered Ghost Ranch there was a log cabin that along with thousands before me I felt compelled to stop and photograph. I liked the reflections in the windows and the view from inside.







I also was drawn to a tree behind the cabin and shot it from several angles.



We drove on to the main grounds of the ranch and enjoyed walking around the area. I could see why she was drawn to the area but I have no idea how she could have spent hours in the back of her Model A painting in that intense sunshine and heat. I could only handle short amounts of it as it was so intense.

No comments: